Saturday, July 18, 2015

Into the Wilderness


I have recently entered the wilderness. The wilderness, or desert, is a common topic in the Bible. It is literally a dry place without much water or vegetation or food. It is a lonely and uncomfortable place. The people of Israel went into a literal wilderness (Exodus), and so did Jesus. The Woman clothed with the sun in Rev. 12 went into a metaphorical wilderness. I have entered a metaphorical wilderness.

In Exodus God led Israel into the Wilderness. The Scriptures give several purposes for Israel to be there. The first is to sacrifice to God. Moses' message to Pharaoh was, "Yahweh, the God of the Hebrews, has met with us. Now please let us go three days’ journey into the wilderness, that we may sacrifice to Yahweh, our God." (Exo. 3.18) God did not tell the Israelites ahead of time what the sacrifice would be. It was something they learned after they got there. In the desert they were hungry and thirsty, and did without many of the things they were accustomed to. They were homeless, and not in control. When Jesus went into wilderness his sacrifice was "fasting for forty days and forty nights." (Matt 4.1-2) When Hagar went into the desert she left everything behind. (Gen 21:14) Their sacrifices were defined by their situation.

In my wilderness, I have had to give up many of the things I was doing on a regular basis. I am living in place that is not my home. My body is not functioning as I would like it be. My response is to willingly offer my situation as a sacrifice. Paul said, "Therefore I urge you, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service. 2 Don’t be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what is the good, well-pleasing, and perfect will of God." (Rom 1.1-2)

The second purpose for Israel to go into the wilderness was to be tested. Moses said to Israel, "you shall remember all the way which the Lord your God has led you these forty years in the wilderness, that he might humble you, testing you to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep his commandments, or not." (Deut 8.3) Likewise, "Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil." (Matt 4.1) It is interesting to note that the Greek word that is translated "tempt" in this verse, peirazo, could be translated either "test" or "tempt". In English the main difference between "test" and "tempt" is one's attitude concerning the outcome of a situation. A person says "tempt" when there is an expectation of failure, and "test" when there is an expectation of success. In the situation of Jesus in the wilderness, Satan expected Jesus to fail, to give up and sin, whereas God expected Jesus to succeed and overcome the situation.

They key is attitude. I can conform to this world, being full of bitterness and complaining, seeking ways to cover up my discomfort with the pleasures of this world, or I can be transformed by the renewing of my mind, trusting that God still loves me, and striving to give God the glory in every situation.

The third purpose for Israel to go into the wilderness, was simply to be with God and to be cared for by him. The Mountain of God, also called Mt. Sinai or Mt. Horeb, is in the middle of the wilderness. Israel met God there and heard his voice. (Exo 19.17-19) There the Israelites drank from water from the rock and ate manna from heaven. (Neh 9-19-21) There they became God's special possession. (Exo 19.5-6) When Jesus went into the wilderness, he was served by angels. (Mrk 1.13) The Woman clothed with the sun flew to a place in the wilderness prepared by God to be nourished for a time. (Rev 12.6,14) Hagar spoke with an angel in the wilderness and was given water and a promise for her son. (Gen 21.17-19)

In my own wilderness, I am safe and well taken care of. I have a lot of unscheduled time that I normally do not have. God is here, I have a wonderful opportunity to spend time with him, to see this situation through his eyes, and to get to know him better.

p.s.
David had good thoughts about the desert. Psa 55.4-7; 78.52-54;

God sees opportunity in the wilderness:
Behold, I will do a new thing.
It springs out now.
Don’t you know it?
I will even make a way in the wilderness,
and rivers in the desert.
20 The animals of the field shall honor me,
the jackals and the ostriches;
because I give water in the wilderness and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my people, my chosen,
21the people which I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise. 
(Isa 43.19-21)

4 comments:

  1. I appreciated this entry, Mike. I don't have my journal with me this week, but when I get home, I want to go through this again and journal where I am on this journey in the wilderness (I'm there too right now).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy Beerbower hooked me up with "you" as I suffer from an illness with a very, very broad medical term called POTS. After12 years one would think I'd be adjusted to and acceptance of the life limitations it puts on me. Ha! Oh I was for about six years while it went into a sort of remission but for the past four years as it's gotten worse I find myself struggling just as you do. Never knowing what days I will be able to get out of bed and function is the toughest thing for me. I can take the pain and the limitations and I DO want God to be in control (for if He's not then the enemy-in my flesh- is) but if only He would give me a heads up so I could schedule my life as I want it scheduled. At any rate, thank you. This is the closest I've come to being able to share similar frustrations with a believer who understands. God HAD AND IS doing marvelous things in the life of my marriage over these years and The Holy Spirit continues to fill me more and more when I throw up my hands and say "I'm Yours". Looking forward to more communications and encouraging one another in love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you are growing in the Lord. My health has been up and down since 1986. A lot of my spiritual growth has taken place during the down times, but I still don't like the down times. One attitude adjustment that I learned several years ago, is to be content with and thankful for what the Lord has given me, both in the past and today. I am thankful for the energy level I use to have, but realize that I do not have a right to that energy level. It was a gift from God, and the energy level I have now is a gift from God. Even though I desire the level of energy I use to have, I should not covet it or demand it.

      I probably have at least three distinct health issues--CFIDS which I contacted in 1986, which comes and goes; hypothyroidism which was diagnosed in 1992 and is probably a consequence of CFIDS; and now adrenal fatigue which is probably a consequence of insufficiently treated hypothyroidism. There are a lot of overlapping symptoms among the three, which makes it hard to diagnose and treat them.

      Delete